Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
What is PHP?
A Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is the most intensive form of outpatient treatment available. Sometimes referred to as “day treatment,” PHP is very similar to an intensive outpatient program (IOP) in that it is comprised of individual therapy, group therapy, psychoeducation, life skills development, and family therapy. However, PHP provides a higher level of structure and accountability than an intensive outpatient program (IOP) due to the frequency and length of treatment sessions.
PHP gives clients the opportunity to experience their recovery at home or in a sober living setting with the distinct advantage of rigorous accountability and structure. PHP clients do not stay at the treatment center overnight. Instead, they attend group outpatient treatment sessions four to seven times per week. Each session is facilitated by experienced addiction treatment professionals and the care received during PHP is tailored to the individual needs of the client.
PHP is often a great fit for clients who have already completed residential treatment or who do not require a higher level of care. Often, clients naturally transition from residential rehab to PHP and then continue their treatment with IOP and aftercare, depending on their individual needs. This natural succession through various stages of treatment provides comprehensive care that allows for a gradual increase in personal responsibility and a steady decrease in structure.
Advantages of PHP
A partial hospitalization program offers several distinct advantages for people in recovery, as well as their family members. As an essential part of the overall treatment process, PHP gives clients the opportunity to establish a recovery support system outside of a residential care program. It also provides valuable individualized treatment services and education while bridging the gap between residential treatment and outpatient treatment. Here are some of the primary benefits of PHP.
- Flexibility – PHP gives clients the flexibility to attend to other personal commitments while also prioritizing their recovery and receiving intensive clinical care, family therapy, and treatment for co-occurring disorders.
- Intensive care – PHP clients interact with treatment staff frequently throughout the week, which provides a high level of structure, support, and accountability. Whether this is a client’s first treatment experience or they’ve relapsed several times after completing a program, PHP provides a generous period of well-rounded care that addresses the needs of the individual as well as his or her family members.
- Smooth transition from residential to outpatient treatment – Adjusting to sober life outside of a rehab center can be challenging, but PHP allows clients to progress gradually through the recovery process. With in-depth, personalized treatment that addresses mind, body, and soul, PHP supports clients as they take ownership of their recovery and gain confidence in their personal strengths.
- Family programming – As clients heal and recover on an individual level, PHP also provides opportunities for family members to come together and work through deeply-seated issues that are related to substance abuse.
PHP Services at Positive Recovery
At Positive Recovery Centers, PHP clients attend a minimum of 20 hours of structured treatment each week. Group sessions are held in a safe, clinical setting and are facilitated by qualified addiction treatment specialists. Family members are invited to participate in family programming one day a week and treatment is customized for all families depending on their unique circumstances and needs.
PHP may also consist of recreational and experiential activities like music appreciation and art appreciation, which are designed to create safe spaces for people in recovery. These activities help clients manage daily stress, celebrate successes, and begin to establish a balance in a new life of recovery.
Unlike other PHP programs, Positive Recovery Centers’ PHP is driven by the scientifically-validated Positive Recovery curriculum. In conjunction with other evidence-based treatment methods, we have found that this approach to addiction recovery empowers clients to live their best lives and create a sober lifestyle that is more satisfying than drugs or alcohol ever could be.
Is PHP Right for Me?
PHP may be right for you if:
- You have completed a residential treatment program but aren’t quite ready to transition to an intensive outpatient program.
- You recently relapsed and need help getting back on track.
- You have access to a safe, supportive, and substance-free living environment while you’re in treatment.
- Your treatment team in detox or residential rehab has recommended that you continue your treatment with a partial hospitalization program.
Fortunately, you don’t have to make this decision alone. The caring and qualified professionals at Positive Recovery Centers are here to help you determine if PHP is right for you.
PHP is provided at a number of our locations. Please call the location of your choice to inquire about our services.
Addiction doesn’t have to define you any longer. We can show you how to live a full and satisfying life in sobriety. Call (877) 476-2743 today to speak with a representative at Positive Recovery Centers.